Monday, May 16, 2011

A Short History of Ice Cream

Since long before most of us can remember, ice cream has been the favored treat for those hot summer days. Its refreshing coldness, its creamy texture on our tongues, but few people know the true story behind this very popular dessert. That is until now.
The otherday on one of his travels, Dragon happened to run in to a direct decendant of the original maker of this treat, and he is pleased to present to you here, her story.

Cm’on in, the gate’s pretty sturdy and you can just come right over it. I just love to watch the cars as they go by. Sometimes, the little ones’ll stick their heads out’n try to talk to me. Sigh makes me miss my own little ones. But my my, where did my manners go? Can I interest you in some fresh grass? Or perhaps a sip from the salt lick?
Alright, now you wanted to hear about ice cream. Before my time of course, but my ma told me the story, and her ma before her and on and on.
Well it was years and years ago when they discovered it. Old farmer Joe had had a bad few years with the crop and he had to sell what was left of his property and move the family in to something smaller and more affordable. At that time, they only had one cow named Isabelle and a few chickens with’m.
It was a hard first year for that poor little family, but worst of all was the winter. What with the baby bein’ sick, the misses wouldn’t let Joe bring Isabelle inside like he wanted, but he loved that cow and did everything he could to keep her warm. When he noticed her startin’ to get slow, he thought it was the end.
There had been more cows on the big farm, but Isabelle was a champeon milk maker. That was why he chose her outta the lot.
Well the baby wasn’t getting’ any better and neither was Isabelle, so when the misses took the baby and the older three in to town to see about getting some medicen, , farmer Joe brought Isabelle inside to see if he couldn’t warm her up and possibly get some milk outta her. So there he was milkin her, and darn if she didn’t have frozen cream comin’ outta her. Wasn’t he surprised. Well, long story short, it tasted great and the family opened up a little shop. They did very well after that, but very few people still remember Isabelle.
And that’s how we made ice cream. O look, now the farmer’s callin’ me and I’ve gotta go. Milk doesn’t just make itself you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay visiters!